View Single Post
Old 04-03-2023, 06:11 AM   #612
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I generally like the others too but for some reason the hand-drawn ones seem more life-like... More detail? Or maybe smoother shading on the faces? I am not sure, there is a reason I cannot draw people. But you know what? I think that given a bit of time to re-caliber my attachment sensors I am gonna like this style.
I think partly it's that they're less smooth - skin is not actually a smooth sheet in one shade. Also, the shadows aren't as pronounced on the digital versions, as evidenced by the Brothers Feanorion here:

What I can do is enhance the contrast on the skin only - deeper shadows, so that they look like features rather than ripples:

I'm not sure about that; I think it makes the flaws in my art too obvious, while keeping it softer just looks stylised.

Quote:
And, as promised - Feanorian part of Hate. I feel like... I don't love it, but it does channel hate and anger and all those lovely things fairly reasonably. To be honest, I feel like Heart was probably the most mature and refined piece I've done musically so far, and I don't know if that's gonna be beat. I hope so, but I feel like the final songs might be doing it with force rather than skill or subtlety.
I like it! It sings well, and bounces along about right. It's not like this one was every going to be particularly subtle... ^_^

Quote:
I totally missed this update before, just saw it as I was writing my post. You know, you're absolutely right. It does look more cohesive. And I don't think that whatever was catching my eye before is nearly as noticeable with the backdrops. Chalk it up to my reluctance to change. I like it. I'm in.
Yay!

Quote:
As a side note, I thought the visuals between videos transitioned very well, and the music was not terrible either. As I recall, concert versions aside, most performances had some kind of musical "background noise" to aid the transitions between songs. Do you feel that we need something like this? Might be a bit early to tell, but something to keep in mind if the songs refuse to stick together.
It might be useful, though as I recall most of the songs start pretty nicely from silence. Once I've finished the digital portraits I want to do a complete Act 1 run, so we can see how they transition then.

EDIT: Throwing in the final characters from Act One, just for funsies:

Thingol and Melian are very close to the hand-drawn versions, I'm happy with them (and Melian's dress has a nice glow to it). Galadriel... her face is a mess, I need to revisit. But otherwise I quite like her? Her costume is simple, but it's meant to be.

(I've also done the Faithful trio, but haven't touched Sauron or his Minions yet.)

hS

Last edited by Huinesoron; 04-04-2023 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Final picture
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote