View Single Post
Old 11-14-2002, 06:26 PM   #400
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Kesha stood with Phura, leaning against him, Phura with his arms protectively around the boy. Beside him, lingering, Gamba stood with the four boys-- Roka, Asta, Ban, little Maura. He couldn't tear himself away from Phura to go to the Anduin group yet. He stood beside his brother, hating the division that was coming.

Phura watched, despairing, as Azraph's father turned, with his family following, and headed to the Anduin group. He had thought that he was braced for this, but his face fell nonetheless. Gamba put his hand on his brother's shoulder, and Phura thought how much he would miss that friendly touch, and he cringed and fought back tears.

"Think of the water, " Gamba braced him. "Storms out to sea. Really big storms. You'll be happy. You'll be okay." But watching Azraph's father, and guessing at his brother's despair, Gamba was choking back tears of his own.

Then Loremaster, with Andril beside him, was walking toward the Anduin side, and Phura all but panicked. He had thought Loremaster at least was coming with him. Not even he? And why was Andril going there? Was she going to become a hobbit?

But Loremaster and Andril walked up to Azraph's father, who nodded, and held out his hand toward Azraph. Azraph stepped forward, head held high, chin quivering; and then tears began, and she threw her arms around her father's neck, weeping. Next she embraced her mother, and then each of her siblings, her sister Nitir last of all. Nitir sobbed and sobbed, and turned to her mother for comfort.

And then Loremaster and Andril together were leading the still-weeping Azraph towards Phura. As she met Phura's eyes, she smiled through her tears, let go of Loremaster's hand and reached for Phura.

Kesha wisely stepped aside.

Phura cried out in disbelief, dashed his tears away, took her hand and kissed it, drew her into a tight embrace, and held her fast. Gamba was laughing through his own tears, and looking for someone to embrace, and Azraph caught his eye and reached one hand to him, and he threw his arms around them both. They stayed that way a long time.

Eventually they all slowly slipped apart, and Phura began wiping Azraph's tears away with his own sleeve. And then he stopped.

"Twelve years, " he whispered to Azraph. "We've got to wait twelve years. And Gamba won't be there when I marry you."

"I'm sorry, " Azraph said, and she meant it. "I wish he could be."

"Azraph," he whispered huskily, "can I kiss you now? So he can see it."

Only Phura would have thought of it that way, Azraph thought, and laughed. "All right. Yes. Gamba, are you watching?"

Gamba was way behind both of them. "What? Watching what?"

Phura explained it again. "You won't be there when I marry her. So I want you to see me kiss her now."

Gamba laughed in amazement, and then sobered. His brother was totally serious, and it obviously meant a great deal to him. "If you want to. All right. Go ahead."

Right arm around her shoulders, left arm around her waist. Phura kissed her, and Gamba smiled, blinking back tears and biting back laughter, and only smiled wider when he heard Azraph's father roar, "HEY!"

Loremaster, who was still standing nearby and had heard everything, was sadly smiling, and waving unconcernedly at Azraph's father. Azraph's father began to get red in the face-- until he saw Phura release Azraph, and throw his arms around Gamba, and burst into tears. And then he mostly understood.

Gamba held his brother tightly, and said, "Good luck. Enjoy your storms. I'll always think of you when it rains. Every time."

Phura could say nothing, and only held on tighter, until he hoarsely said, "Good luck, Gamba, you rascal. You enjoy the trees. "

"I will," replied Gamba.

Phura took a deep breath, and looked at Loremaster, and Kesha, taking his hand, and lastly at Azraph, twining his fingers with hers-- for the last time, he thought, remembering that Hobbrim had webbed fingers.

There would be much to get used to.

They waited, watching, while other families made their choice; Corby, Tuka, Mika, and Kima all elected to remain as Hobbits and go to the the Anduin, and Gamba felt a twinge of comfort each time.

"Phura and Gamba Tuk."

Gamba gave Phura's shoulder one last slap, and their eyes met again. Gamba nodded. "Now go on. Go find your stormy dream."

Phura nodded, and looked around. Loremaster, oddly, was standing with Phura as a member of his family, ready to follow, bracing Phura with his presence. Azraph smiled, and Kesha tightened his grip on Phura's hand. With one last look back at Gamba, Phura led Kesha and Azraph toward the water. Loremaster, slapping Gamba on the shoulder, followed.

He watched them go. And then leading his four children, Gamba went to join the Anduin group, pondering what had happened. Loremaster had said clearly enough that he did not want Phura to be alone. He guessed Loremaster had arranged that Azraph would stay with Andril; indeed, as he was watching, Andril and Azraph did exchange several smiles. Gamba gazed at the old man with new respect and deeper love, glad that Phura had Loremaster to be with him, and thinking with surprise that he just might miss the old man after all.

[ November 15, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]