View Single Post
Old 07-31-2004, 12:52 AM   #19
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan
I hope that clarifies as well.
It does. I think I veer too much towards the 'poetic' side of things - I agree that, from the practical pov you are correct. Ofermod is too dangerous & destructive to be allowed out into the 'primary' world - especially these days. It belongs in the world of poetry & legend, & that's the source of too many things that we wouldn't want straying into the waking world. Didn't someone once remark that 'even Gollum would be good in a story' - but you wouldn't want to run into him down a dark alley!

Its an odd thing though, that like Dragons, we love to enter into the legendary world but would be terrified if its inhabitants strayed into ours. Even our maddest dreams can seem logical, fascinating, places - while we're dreaming. Its only when we awaken that we step back, analyse them & realise their craziness. To carry over a point I made in the 'Old Forest' thread, we're not Frodos, who seem to have strayed into this world by accident, & only really belong in the Dreamtime - we're Sam's, who love the dreamworld, & happily, even eagerly, stray into it, but know how to keep it in its place, & can avoid being overwhelmed by its 'glamour'.

So, I suppose we can all admire ofermod, like dragons & elves & wizards, as long as they stay in their own world. Ofermod in this world would, & has, caused as much devastation as a troop of dragons would. It belongs in the world of heroes, where we can (at least secretly) admire it.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote