View Single Post
Old 09-04-2015, 09:48 AM   #20
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Two Towers Network - Group H Preview
-Boro88

*Team Name (Round team was knocked out in 2013 ; Goals scored - Goals conceded)*

GROUP H

Barad-dur (Round of 16 ; 4-4)
-Additions: MF Khamul, MF Gothmog II, DF The Mouth
-Subtractions: MF Angamaite, MF Sangahyando, DF Fellbeast #2

Sauron's invested much more money this season than ever before, but he's also been protecting his investment by keeping a dirt cheap Mordor roster to absorb any losses if Barad-dur falls in the group stage. Although, I can't see that happening, Sauron's added better talent with each offseason move (as you would hope when spending 14 million more. Khamul, Castamir, and Beruthiel are an aggressive MF and each one can put it into the net so all the scoring isn't on Sauron's broad, dark, shoulders. I think their MF is deeper and more solid than Eriador's. Herumor and Gothmog II can focus on their defensive MF responsibilities, as they shouldn't have to aid the front-4 in scoring. The Mouth gets added to the defense, with already the 2 blue wizards and the defense suddenly looks solid. Grishnakh is a bargain at goalie, TTN seriously likes this team as 1st-place finishers, even ahead of Eriador this year.

Eriador (Quarterfinals ; 4-3)
-Additions: MF Gildor, DF Celebrimbor, DF Erestor, DF Arantar
-Subtractions: FW Isildur, MF Arador, DF Aragorn, DF Arwen

There's still Elrond and the additions of Celebrimbor and Erestor means a team that only surrendered 3 goals in 5 matches hasn't lost anything defensively. There was a severe lack of goal scoring and chances created by Eriador. 4 goals in 5 matches really tells the whole story. Gil-galad comes down to take Isildur's spot and he's a comparable player. Gil-galad and Glorfindel are great finishers, but Eriador's issue is they just don't create enough chances in a match (they prefer playing defense and counter-attacking) to score multiple goals. Eriador continues to have a top-3 defense and the best goalie in all of Arda, but I like Barad-dur's front 4 far more than Eriador's. And it's important to finish 1st in this group, because assuming Group A goes as predicted (The Sea comfortably winning the group), Eriador plays a similar game to The Sea's, but The Sea plays it better and has the better athletes.

Gondor (Group ; 3-4)
-Additions: MF Galador, DF Hyarmendacil II, GK Adrahil
-Subtractions: MF Ciryandil, DF Earnil I, GK Imrahil

What chance for Gondor to upset at least 1 of the 2 Middle-earth powers? I don't think very high. For their low-budget they are by no means an awful team. They won't be blown off the pitch by anyone in this group, meaning they'll be in every match. And a grudge match with their rival Barad-dur, could spark unpredictable glory and magic for Gondor. It's going to be hard to get through Gondor's stout MF, they all play well together, distribute the ball effectively, and there are certainly worse finishers than Eldacar and Anarion in the front. It's a really suspect back-3 and goal-keeping for Gondor this year though. Apply pressure to their back-line and they will crumble relatively easy, it's just they're well protected by a mid-field that's in sync and don't make mistakes throwing away possession.

Shire-Bree Utd (Group ; 2-7)
-Additions: MF Wormtongue, MF Golfimbul, DF Beregond, DF Peregrin
-Subtractions: FW Khamul, MF Gandalf, DF Shadowfax, DF Gildor

I won't add much more to what I already reported in my exclusive on the low-budget squads. Even though this team will finish in the black this year, the owners are all going to need come to the table and have an eye-opening moment, or they'll just never attract the talent they need to make this squad competitive again. They may give Gondor a decent game, because there's a couple Nazgul on the team to disturb the kingdom of Men. But those anonymous Nazgul, being S-B United's best players, are going to be completely ineffective against Eriador and Barad-dur.