View Single Post
Old 06-15-2015, 08:15 PM   #1678
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots Post Game Commentary #2

So, contrary to my initial decision, I think it best for me to go ahead and explain the whole of Boro's role as Chrysophylax. If I ever mod a game again I will just have to come up with a new surprise.

My thinking is maybe somebody else would like to utilize this idea sometime to get some more mileage out of it, although it is not original in any of its parts, just this particular combination of factors I think hasn't been done before.

To get the self-evident stuff out of the way: the Chrysophylax role was a loner weredragon role that could only win by itself with one twist that I will get to in a minute.

Aside from being by himself, Boro also had no protection from wolf kills (unless the Ranger should incidentally protect him) and he had a unique vulnerability to the Seer. If Nerwen had ever dreamed of him, she would have received a full explanation of Boro's role and his powers. Boro would also have been an exception to the no roles revealed on death rule as his death would have been narrated with some kind of distinct hint in it.

The Chrysophylax role had a NIGHT kill, which was evident throughout the game and the wolves had no special protection from it.

The fun thing that did not happen in the game was the ability to turn another player into Chyrsophylax in the event of Boro's death. This ability would have functioned as follows:

1. This ability became active on NIGHT 2. I referred to this (and will refer to this throughout the post) as the Successor Pick. If Boro had been lynched on DAY 1, the ability would not have activated and he would have lost the game completely at that point. This also meant that if he had been a NIGHT kill on NIGHT 2 his pick would not have taken place and he would have lost. In short, he had to make a pick and survive NIGHT 2 in order for the pick to take effect.

2. A NIGHT that he made a Successor Pick he could not make a NIGHT kill. I did this to provide him with some camoflage...and also to not unbalance the game too much.

3. Boro could only change his Successor Pick if his initial Successor pick had been killed and he could only choose a replacement Successor pick once. Also, (and I made this rule during the game) once the Living Thread population dropped below five (or was projected to do so) the Succession would not take place and he would have to win on his own.

4. The Successor Pick had to be an Ordo or the pick ability would have been lost.

5. As it turned out, Boro picked Lommy as his Successor. However, she was not informed of this but it was alluded to in the narration. Lommy was the person who had the persistent itch, although she didn't know it. Also, when Nerwen dreamed of Lommy she was told that Lommy was an Ordo (which was mostly true at the time)

6. If Lommy had become Chrysophylax, she would not have had the Successor pick ability.

7. If Lommy had become Chrysophylax and had gone on to win, it would have counted as a win for Boro too.

8. Boro and Lommy had no ability to PM with each other during the game.

I think that was about it as far as the role was concerned.

There was something else I wanted to mention about the game, but now I can't remember what it was.

I hope that if somebody tries this type of format again, they will give serious consideration to the mechanics of a Visitor role as that will help with the information flow and (probably) make the game more exciting.

I also think that this type of style would be well suited to a Republic style game, with people elected to participate in the Legislature thread which would determine the lynchings or something like that. Obviously would need a lot of thought but I wanted to throw the idea out there.

Last edited by Kuruharan; 01-15-2016 at 11:29 AM.
Kuruharan is offline   Reply With Quote