View Single Post
Old 05-17-2008, 10:43 AM   #15
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
I like Lommy's interpretation that Celeborn is talking about his future (and eternal, up to Dagor Dagorath anyway) loss of Arwen. He knows that Arwen as chosen the fate of man and therefore his treasured grand-daughter will be lost to him. He hopes that Aragorn and Arwen will be together 'till the end' but cannot be sure as 'the Gift' is mysterious.
I didn't actually say that but it makes sense, too...

Quote:
I also think that the heart-rending scene of Celeborn burying Arwen makes a lot of sense. Maybe its no surprise that he was not present in Lorien when Arwen arrived, this would have been an impossible thing for Celeborn to deal with. However, once she had died I'd like to think he came over (from Greenwood?) to bury her. This explains something I've always had difficulties with, ie. why did Celeborn stay and Galadriel go? I think this was the real reason that he had to stay, not the entreaties of the Galadrhim, for surely they wished Galadriel to stay just as fervently?
Actually, that's a good idea and it explains also why it says "Galadriel had passed and Celeborn also was gone", because it looks like it implies that they were away in different ways and if they had both gone to the West, it would be odd. But it still doesn't prove anything you say, because it could also imply that Celeborn was in Rivendell, or it could just be a very poetic formulation ŕ la Tolkien.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumil
Though I guess he tactfully failed to mention that his wife was over 7000 years old!
(Ooops Cross-posted with Thinlomien there! [steadfastly ignoring PC debate ;-)
to both...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote