View Single Post
Old 05-17-2008, 10:30 AM   #14
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye Tears and Laughter

OK, I think I'm beginning to get my head round this (famous last words!).

I like Lommy's interpretation that Celeborn is talking about his future (and eternal, up to Dagor Dagorath anyway) loss of Arwen. He knows that Arwen as chosen the fate of man and therefore his treasured grand-daughter will be lost to him. He hopes that Aragorn and Arwen will be together 'till the end' but cannot be sure as 'the Gift' is mysterious.

I also think that the heart-rending scene of Celeborn burying Arwen makes a lot of sense. Maybe its no surprise that he was not present in Lorien when Arwen arrived, this would have been an impossible thing for Celeborn to deal with. However, once she had died I'd like to think he came over (from Greenwood?) to bury her. This explains something I've always had difficulties with, ie. why did Celeborn stay and Galadriel go? I think this was the real reason that he had to stay, not the entreaties of the Galadrhim, for surely they wished Galadriel to stay just as fervently?

Meanwhile, on a lighter note-

The scene - On leaving Lothlorien, the Fellowship are discussing their route with Galdriel and Celeborn...

Quote:
"Indeed we have heard of Fangorn in Minas Tirith," said Boromir. "But what I have heard seems to me for the most part old wives' tales, such as we tell to children. etc"
Quote:
"Then I need say no more," said Celeborn. "But do not despise the lore that has come down from distant years; for oft it may chance that old wives keep in memory word of things that once were needful for the wise to know."
Though I guess he tactfully failed to mention that his wife was over 7000 years old!

(Ooops Cross-posted with Thinlomien there! [steadfastly ignoring PC debate ;-)

Last edited by Rumil; 05-17-2008 at 10:33 AM. Reason: cross-post
Rumil is offline   Reply With Quote