View Single Post
Old 05-17-2008, 09:52 AM   #12
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumil View Post
Just to be silly for a moment.....

We all know that Celeborn was a bit of a stand-up comedian, after all his 'old wives' comment was the funniest in LoTR.
A little off-topic question: Which comment? I probably did not find it the funniest in LotR, because I don't remember it at all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I always thought that he was referring to the fading of Lothlórien, his kingdom that won't remain the same and that will diminish. As much as he loved Galadriel, I cannot see him referring to her as his treasure - it sounds way too possessive, and we all knew who was the boss in that family.
I am not opposing the last part of the sentence , but I must oppose the first conclusion. He could have referred to Galadriel, and speaking of "treasure", I would say that you are unnecessarily interpretating it the worst possible way. Surely when someone calls another "treasure", the primary meaning is not that he would claim ownership over the other. And I doubt this was meant like this. I must say, what you said kind of shocked me, because I regarded this (thinking, as I posted above, that he is indeed referring to Arwen, resp. Galadriel here) as "oh look how much he values Galadriel, comparing her to a treasure" - and now you downplay it by interpretating it in this nasty way. Be ashamed of yourself! It was surely not "may the one you own remain with you till the end" but "may the one who is most important to you remain with you till the end"!
If it is referring to Arwen and Galadriel in the first place, of course. But I would say, what you said could not be definitely taken as a proof that this variant is impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
And it's not only that, really, there's something else there also why it would feel inappropriate and besides, if Celeborn indeed went to West later (which I hope and believe he did), he would still have Galadriel for ever, so the Galadriel-explanation would not make sense.
Haha, and you know what? Here you say "He would still have Galadriel". Now who is using wrong semantics here
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote