View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 05:51 PM   #9
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
Let me just say that I find it very hard to belive that Elrond would say stuff like that unintentionally.
It is true. Maybe it really was his attempt to encourage Frodo - but I wouldn't call it "pushing", indeed, rather a remark to raise the spirits of the present people with "smaller hands", especially when a recount of famous high kings' deeds and world-shaking events preceded. Or it was simply a general remark and had nothing to do with the situation, or was not meant to (even though from looking backwards it was obvious its meaning deeply touched the present situation).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
Secondly unless he had some sort of forthsight then I really doubt that he knew the outcome! He probably had a good idea what the outcome would be and which outcome would be most desirable, but even the very wise cannot see all ends.
Well by "knew" I did not mean really "knew", but rather something like "presumed"; and I take even his words to Frodo later ("If I understand aright all that I have heard, I think that this task is appointed for you, Frodo; and that if you do not find a way, no one will.") rather as prophetic than visionary; not that he would really know the future, but rather that he perceives very well the present and thus can say this. The moments when someone's foresight shows something concrete from the future that's not trackable from the present are really rare in M-E (and currently I remember only Malbeth or Dírhael and Ivorwen, or Huor at the retreat from Nirnaeth), and this one does not seem like that. And Elrond concludes this speech of his by other words showing his thinking: "Who of all the Wise could have foreseen it? Or, if they are wise, why should they expect to know it, until the hour has struck?"
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote