View Single Post
Old 01-02-2022, 05:22 PM   #540
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Amid the snows another song is born

I finished Camp! And I love it! And because I love it, I sang it.

I think this probably was the most smoothly made song since the early ones which were done on a timeline of weeks rather than months. The tempo adjustment was much less of an issue with the final thing than on the half-finished take, I was making too much of a fuss. There are a few details which sound different as a result of recording at low speed and then speeding up, the product of the program glitching and inserting unnecessary pauses between notes which then get exaggerated with this method... But the alternative is to record in chunks and then piece everything together with very minute detail and do the timing just right to have everything match up... I figured the glitches are not so noticeable that it would be worth the effort.

I love this song because it just repeats other songs but with its own twists. I think redoing Oath was my favourite. You still get the footfalls of doom, but it is very much Untrembling and Not Rage, in contrast to Cel&Cur's version.

I found that it takes some adjusting to singing a piece that is continuously speeding up even as you are in the middle of a line. The internal metronome does not like it. How are you finding the speed and singability? Given how easy it was to do the speeding up, it would not take much effort to adjust if needed.

I was initially not gonna score Beren at all, but it made the score sound better, so he is there too. But he and Finrod are each sorta half-scored in that section. So if it makes it easier to record, I can send you the bare-boned sketch of each at the same pace to use instead. See what works, I guess? And I was singing the text as written, without the recent adjustments - so that would be different too of course.

Now, other stuff -

Updates on Appeal:

Firstly, I went back to the score and took out the elements that were annoying me the most. The last stanza just rubbed me the wrong way too much. I figured out what it is - whether Beren is being calmly cynical or despairing and dismayed, that stanza just doesn't work for him because it is not genuine. It needs to be plainer, simpler. And I think making it simpler helps make me not detest that part of the music. And while at it, I fiddled again with the harp sound. So here is the new Appeal score. (Or here together with Entrance, but the gap between the pieces is of arbitrary length and might not match up with the animations and audio timing you have already. So whichever one is easier to adjust to the rest of the video...)

Then, I finally got around to singing it to my heart's content. ^.^

Updates on Dream:

I have not yet had a satisfactory Luthien take. But here is a (long)-promised Beren ending - I have already forgotten why exactly I wanted to do it, I think it was literally just the last two notes.
This again demonstrates that it might be wiser for me to wait for you to sing that part first - I don't have a single consistent rhythm on the starts of the phrases.

Happy New Year!

Last edited by Galadriel55; 01-02-2022 at 05:27 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote