View Single Post
Old 07-11-2020, 11:06 AM   #63
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
LUTHIEN:
What is "agony"?

BEREN:
Pain is the enemy death releases us from

LUTHIEN:
What are "battle" and "war"?

BEREN:
A delight to the poets but abhorrent to ev'ryone [isn't that how you pronounce "everyone" anyways?]

LUTHIEN:
What are "hate" and "emnity"? [technically the last syllable "ty" here overlaps with "They're", but since 2 people singing it's not an issue that requires fixing]

BEREN:
They're the bread of war, its water and living breath

LUTHIEN:
And then what is "love"?

BEREN:
Love is the bliss that stands between hate and death! [yes! Checkmark for rhyme rhythm and content so far!]

LUTHIEN:
Don't look me in the eye, I'm shaking with fear
At being alone with you
Hatred and death look out of your eyes
Enclosed in a single view
No-one has dared to see me this way [I wonder if "look at" is better than "see".
It's a bit awkward rhythm-wise, but "see" sounds passive - like the problem is in Luthien's appearance, not Beren's gaze

In all of the endless years

BEREN:
Until you drew me out with the light of your heart
I had known only dark and tears!

LUTHIEN:
Dear friend, you are moving far too quickly
I'm sure I have given you no cause
Fates apart, joining them is risky

BEREN:
Then you weren't waiting for me?

LUTHIEN:
I was!

But the sun does not shine in midnight's kingdom
Rivers do not run into dry seas.
Our story's written to its ending [and reading "our" as o-ur, two syllables. This to avoid sto-RY]
You weren't searching for me here. [not strictly necessary to complete an offbeat at the end, but I think it sounds nicer]

BEREN:
I was. [this should rhyme with "seas", like "I was / cause" above. But I just don't know how to get them to rhyme without sacrificing the beautiful imagery and structure you have going]

What is "loyalty"?

LUTHIEN:
The song that the nightingale sings in the starry night

BEREN:
What's "eternity", then? [you don't even need "then". Eternity sounds more natural even with just a long "ter"

LUTHIEN:
A house where there's room enough for you and I.

BEREN:
What is "immortal'ty"? [again, can go with the simple "immortality", it scans]

LUTHIEN:
The air of the forest
The taste of rowan-berries bright [this one is awkward though, it has to go too rapid-fire what Luthien has been doing with these lines. "The red rowan berries bright" flows easier, but loses "taste".

BEREN:
And then what is "love"?

LUTHIEN:
Love makes the weight of immortal living light!

WOW! You are really rocking the imagery in this song. It sounds very nice.

EDIT: crossed with your post. Aaaah, another song to work on! I am barely keeping up with the drafts! Thankfully weekend ahead with theoretically unlimited computer time.