View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 10:13 AM   #22
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hickli View Post
Myself I don't get very hopped up about 'collectible value'- I'm a stocks-and-bonds kinda guy- and possessing a book (or bookplate) with a signature the author cranked out assembly-line fashion doesn't have much personal value for me- certainly not anything like Christopher's signatures at the bottom of his letters.
Afraid if I bought this thing it would be purely for setting aside for a couple of years & then selling on. I fear that (to me at least) it has no inherent value - but then I'm not a collector as such. Which is not to deny that in itself its a very nice thing.

Of course, recieving letters from CT would be a superior thing to simply owning a copy of a book(plate) signed by him, but we are not all in that enviable position. That said, signed copies have their own value to collectors. I don't see this as any different to buying a signed limited edition Alan Lee print - its a collectible which should appreciate in value.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote