View Single Post
Old 02-19-2004, 06:29 PM   #16
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Kalimac: You're absolutely right! It was just the comments such as that, including the one about the horrid 1950s (odd), that made me more than a bit...wary.

I come to resurrect this thread, as I have recently found something Tolkien himself wrote in his own introduction to The Fellowship of the Ring.

Quote:
As for any inner meaning or 'message', it has in the intention of the author none. It is neither allegorical nor topical.
Before, I accepted that Tolkien was 'anti-imperialistic', as he seems to have been labeled. Then I came to understand more of the meaning of the compound word 'anti-imperialism', and so I became wary of it. I find it to be a tricky word, and an even trickier label.

Now, after finding the quote above, doubt grew almost to a certainty that Tolkien has been unfairly labeled, as are so many people, alive or deceased.

Unless, of course, 'anti-imperialistic' views can be found in other writings, of which I am certainly not all that aware of. Still, I will have trouble believing this until a clear definition of 'anti-imperialism' is given.

But, I have had many certainties shattered easily before. So, I ask if anyone else believes that 'anti-imperialist' is the correct label for Tolkien, that they should inform me of the basis of this, and give me a definition for 'anti-imperialism'.

(Sorry about all the quotations...couldn't help myself!)

-Durelin

Oh, and let's forget the conquistadors and Sarcens, shall we? Thanks a bunch... I started it, I know...truly sorry. Though I must say, some excellent points on Columbus and such, Kalimac. Please, forgive me for my mistake.

Last edited by Durelin; 02-19-2004 at 06:34 PM.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote