Thread: Wierd?
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2003, 12:55 AM   #52
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This is my first post in this forum. Help! I feel like an alien! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Anyway, I did the de rigeur thing and my first post was in the Introduce yourself here thread in the Novices and Newcomers forum. But then, there were too many interesting things going on in the Books forum! I have never started a topic, having never felt the need. If there is a question, I have searched and found something akin to it addressed in old or newer threads. Sometimes the threads in the Books section can be daunting, and I am still awaiting the day I have the time, courage and fortitude to respond in the "Frodo's Sacrifice" thread. That day may never come, but I have it bookmarked, just in case! I've never felt belittled in Books (just a bit lost when the Silmarillion and Lost Tales come up); in fact, I rarely go anywhere else on the Forums (don't have the time and Books posts are often quite long!). And I would hardly call myself an expert, as I am only now wading through the Silmarillion (after an abortive attempt around 15 years ago). I think the best attitude to take in the Books forum is "I have an opinion, but I'm willing to learn." It works for me, and I can understand why someone who is new to message boards could be intimidated, especially by a curt reply, no matter how appropriate. I used to work in computer customer service (help desk), and I know how important it is not to make the customer feel stupid! It cuts off the higher brain functions and makes your job ten times harder to do! The only drawback is that sort of job tends to engender insanity in short order. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Anyway, thanks for listening to my ramblings!

Cheers,
Lyta

P.S. Estella, I too used to post on theforce.net LONG ago (1999-2000), but haven't in a very long time. I never paid attention to any cliques that might have been there at the time, except for the one that interested me, the never-ending Qui-Gon Jinn thread that eventually turned into www.qui-gonline.org . I find that, since they killed Qui-Gon, things have never been the same and I didn't get into the second film like the first. I suppose the trick is just posting what is important to you to post, rather than worrying about what a particular clique will think. Either that, or I am entirely clique-blind, being socially impaired anyway!
[img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]

[ June 14, 2003: Message edited by: Lyta_Underhill ]
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote