View Single Post
Old 11-25-2004, 12:42 PM   #400
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
That whole "Are you lookin' at me?" alchopops, chunky fake jewellery and reality tv/celebrity culture is simply something to run away from in my book.

And no, I am not a conservative.
I'm quite far from being a conservative - you don't have to be one to be wary of that whole 'culture'! There's a new word for it, but I'm not sure whether it's considered rude or not, so I won't say it, but anyone in the UK will know what I'm saying.

Quote:
Do Scots and Welsh have identities? Or are they just extensions of the English? I know the Irish definitely have a distinct identity.
Not only do I think that the Scots and Welsh have their own identities, but people from different areas of England often have their own cultures. I've noticed that in London, people seem to start work later and leave later, while up here there are plenty of people about in the office at 7am - makes it a pain when you ring someone at 9am and their voicemail says they only start work at11am! Likewise when they ring you at 4.30 just as you've logged off, grrr. Even language is different, I had real trouble understanding someone today who spoke in extremely precise Received Pronunciation. And here, we thank the bus driver when we alight, something I've done in the south and received suspicious glances for!