View Single Post
Old 11-23-2004, 02:37 PM   #373
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
there are plenty about us though, I'm sure - the English seem to come across as complete prudes who are interested only in cricket and the weather; a nation that wears a disturbing and suspicious propensity (is that even the right word?) of tweed...
Oh yes. I'm more stereotypical than most, making my way to work with my bowler hat firmly placed upon my head, a neatly furled umbrella under one arm, a copy of the Daily Telegraph under the other. I may be looking forward to the tea trolley coming round, and maybe I will treat myself to a scone while I peruse the cricket results. Well, this is the way I am, according to the media...Oh so untrue...apart from the scone...

Quote:
(Stranraer being a very strange little village on the Scottish coast that always seems dead and has a whiff of goats and the sort of relationships found in Jacobean tragedies).
I like Stranraer. Everything you say about is true, but I still like it. It reminded me of something from Father Ted, especially the villages thereabouts - where the Wicker Man was filmed; and it is close to the old hangout of the Sawney Beans, Scotland's very own serial killer cannibal family. Well worth googling for that particular tale. I once saw someone in Stranraer eating a deep fried Mars Bar with chips and was nearly ill.