View Single Post
Old 04-26-2021, 05:11 PM   #3806
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
As for the references, here they come

To black without light - Frodo lay in a dream without light.
Comes crescent bright. - Then he saw the young moon rising; under its thin light there loomed before him a black wall of rock
It brings the shadow of a friend - Suddenly a shadow, like the shape of great wings, passed across the moon. The figure lifted his arms and a light flashed from the staff that he wielded. A mighty eagle swept down and bore him away.
And shade of fear from distant land. - There was a noise like a strong wind blowing, and on it was borne the sound of hoofs, galloping, galloping, galloping from the East. 'Black Riders!' thought Frodo as he wakened, with the sound of the hoofs still echoing in his mind.

Wake up from carefree reverie - At his side Pippin lay dreaming pleasantly; but a change came over his dreams and he turned and groaned.
To grim and false reality! - Suddenly he woke, or thought he had waked, and yet still heard in the darkness the sound that had disturbed his dream: tip-tap, squeak;
Inside the wood, by its long boughs
Don't listen to the ghastly sounds. - the noise was like branches fretting in the wind, twig-fingers scraping wall and window: creak, creak, creak. He wondered if there were willow-trees close to the house; and then suddenly he had a dreadful feeling that he was not in an ordinary house at all, but inside the willow and listening to that horrible dry creaking voice laughing at him again.

The quiet broken by a splash, - It was the sound of water that Merry heard falling into his quiet sleep
A stream that gives way to a pool. - water streaming down gently, and then spreading, spreading irresistibly all round the house into a dark shoreless poo
Yet evil is this water cool -It gurgled under the walls, and was rising slowly but surely. 'I shall be drowned!' he thought. It will find its way in, and then I shall drown.'
It does not matter. Naught shall pass. - 'Nothing passes doors or windows save moonlight and starlight and the wind off the hill-top.'

The wood is dead. It ceased to grow.
Its waters can no longer flow.
Just one is happy and serene,
Alone amid a frightful scene. -
As far as he could remember, Sam slept through the night in deep content, if logs are contented.

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote