View Single Post
Old 12-03-2020, 12:39 PM   #6
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victariongreyjoy View Post
Was the other reinforcement the Swan Knights of Dol Amroth?
I think they were already there. Hang on, let me get the books (I'm so pleased to have them back, can you tell? ^_^)

Right, here we are, in RotK:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotK 1: Minas Tirith
And so the companies came and were hailed and cheered and passed through the Gate, men of the Outlands marching to defend the City of Gondor in a dark hour; but always too few, always less than hope looked for or need asked. The men of Ringló Vale behind the son of their lord, Dervorin striding on foot: three hundreds. From the uplands of Morthond, the great Blackroot Vale, tall Duinhir with his sons, Duilin and Derufin, and five hundred bowmen. From the Anfalas, the Langstrand far away, a long line of men of many sorts, hunters and herdsmen and men of little villages, scantily equipped save for the household of Golasgil their lord. From Lamedon, a few grim hillmen without a captain. Fisher-folk of the Ethir, some hundred or more spared from the ships. Hirluin the Fair of the Green Hills from Pinnath Gelin with three hundreds of gallant green-clad men. And last and proudest, Imrahil, Prince of Dol Amroth, kinsman of the Lord, with gilded banners bearing his token of the Ship and the Silver Swan, and a company of knights in full harness riding grey horses; and behind them seven hundreds of men at arms, tall as lords, grey-eyed, dark-haired, singing as they came.

And that was all, less than three thousands full told.
So Imrahil and his company were part of the 3000 who reached Minas Tirith before it was besieged. Then later, we see who Aragorn brought with him:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotK 6: The Battle of the Pelennor Fields
East rode the knights of Dol Amroth driving the enemy before them: troll-men and Variags and orcs that hated the sunlight. South strode Éomer and men fled before his face, and they were caught between the hammer and the anvil. For now men leaped from the ships to the quays of the Harlond and swept north like a storm. There came Legolas, and Gimli wielding his axe, and Halbarad with the standard, and Elladan and Elrohir with stars on their brow, and the dour-handed Dúnedain, Rangers of the North, leading a great valour of the folk of Lebennin and Lamedon and the fiefs of the South. But before all went Aragorn with the Flame of the West, Andúril like a new fire kindled, Narsil re-forged as deadly as of old: and upon his brow was the Star of Elendil.
The allied armies converge from three sides: Imrahil from the west (ie, the city), Eomer from the north (somewhere along the Rammas, I think), and Aragorn from the south (the docks). The structure isn't entirely clear at a quick glance - I can see how you could connect Dol Amroth to Aragorn's group! The key is that 'great valour' I've highlighted. Lebennin and Lamedon are essentially the east and west halves of Gondor south of the mountains, so very large areas. Gimli explains, a little later, how they came to be on the ships:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotK 9: The Last Debate
‘That night [after the Dead had driven off the corsairs and been released] we rested while others laboured. For there were many captives set free, and many slaves released who had been folk of Gondor taken in raids; and soon also there was a great gathering of men out of Lebennin and the Ethir, and Angbor of Lamedon came up with all the horsemen that he could muster. Now that the fear of the Dead was removed they came to aid us and to look on the Heir of Isildur; for the rumour of that name had run like fire in the dark.

‘And that is near the end of our tale. For during that evening and night many ships were made ready and manned; and in the morning the fleet set forth.
Which makes sense, since you can't man a fleet of ships with only 30 men! Tolkien specifically describes them as having 'many oars', so you're looking at at least 100 men per ship. Some ancient ships, for instance under the Byzantine Empire, pushed towards 300 crew each!

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote