Thread: LOTR Survivor
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2005, 08:14 AM   #262
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil
If we are talking useless than I think Celeborn fits the bill. What has he actually done other than marry Galadriel? Now I would posit that that little fiend has simply ridden the proverbial coat-tails of Galadriel to get him through life. Galadriel still would be great without him but he would wither and die without her. I would say that Celeborn is analogous to a leech in this instance. Blood sucking little creature that hasn't done anything of actual value for Middle-earth and with his excessive vanity it's lucky that Galadriel gets to use her mirror at all, what with him looking in it constantly making sure every strand of hair is perfectly in order.
Arrrrrgh!

What has he done other than marry Galadriel? Rule various places and retake Dol Guldur, in pragmatic terms...

He would wither and die without Galadriel, would he? An absurd statement. He voluntarily separates from Galadriel on two major documented occasions-after being deposed from Ost-in-Edhil, and after Galadriel leaves from the Grey Havens.

On the latter occasion he hangs around for thousands of years as Lord of Rivendell, showing no apparent need to follow his wife in a hurry.

Whereas Galadriel, who wishes to return to the West after the War of Wrath, stays in Middle-earth because she can't bear to be parted from him...

Little leech? Rather larger (and more independent, and less leechlike) than Sam Halfwit, who actually takes over Frodo's house...

Excessive vanity? You have no source for that except your own bitterness. The hairwashing joke has been overused with Legolas, and wasn't very funny to start with.

And I'm voting for Frodo because I think he'll be happier outside, and I like the old rogue Bilbo's character up to point. Though the Baggins hoodlums must still be stopped.