View Single Post
Old 06-01-2004, 11:53 AM   #166
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Hearpwine and Asad moved back into the Hall and took their places at the back of the crowds who had gathered to watch. There was an old bard singing at the moment, one whom Hearpwine had heard of even in his far flung corner of the March. The man’s voice, while elderly, was clear and he sung an ancient and well known lay of Brego and the founding of Meduseld. He concluded to a general clamour of applause, for he was popular with the people of Edoras, and his song was well-known. Bowing to the King with great and practised courtesy the man moved back into the crowds as the next bard’s colour was called. A middle-aged man with a long thick beard came forward and began to sing a rousing song. The melody and words were pleasant, and his voice was strong, but he lacked a full ear for music and the feeling of the moment was not right. Hearpwine could feel the crowd shift and ripple about him as they enjoyed the music, but knew that this man was not going to win the Contest this or any day.

As the two young men listened politely, Hearpwine felt a light touch on his shoulder and he turned to see the old bard at his elbow. Hearpwine and Asad bowed to him and congratulated him on his performance. He waved their compliments away with his aged hand saying, “Nay, it was a fine song, but not the best I’ve given. The years have moved too quickly for me, I’m afraid. My best days are behind me now.”

Hearpwine smiled and, remembering to keep his voice low, rejected this politely. “Do not think so Master Eorcyn. Why I still remember the Lay you sang for Theoden King as he was brought back from Gondor at the end of the War. You met us at the border of the Mark and sang of Eorl the Young as the sun rose. It was as though your music were bringing the light to us in our hour of greatest darkness!”

The old man smiled at Hearpwine’s extreme youth. “You honour me,” he said, “you, who sing of that death and that journey so movingly.” He paused for a moment, looking at Hearpwine cautiously before speaking again. “It is an impertinence, but might I ask if you would be willing to let an old man speak plainly to you?”

Hearpwine was a bit taken aback by this, and he exchanged a confused look with Asad before agreeing. Eorcyn spoke slowly and with great care. “You sing a mighty line, my friend, and you do so with a passion that I have rarely seen in one so young. Your skills with the harp, while impressive, could be bettered, but I have no doubt that time and practice will make you a master of the instrument to be told of for years to come.” He paused, somewhat uncomfortably.

“But…” Hearpwine said, urging him to continue. The old man smiled.

“But,” he said again, “you take certain risks with your singing. Risks that the schooled ear thrills to, but which perhaps place too great a demand upon the more, shall we say, casual listener.”

It was Asad who spoke in passionate defence of Hearpwine’s singing. “He is a masterful bard!” he said somewhat too loudly, earning them all a few stares of approbation. He cast his voice lower and continued. “If there are those who cannot hear that for themselves then it is their loss!”

Hearpwine placed his hand on the young man’s shoulder to quiet him, appreciative and touched by his opinion. Eorcyn continued, “Nay, I agree with you Master Asad – do not mistake me. I would not have Master Hearpwine do any different. But to be Bard to the King, you must aspire to entertain more than the King and his courtiers. The Bard is called upon to mark all occasions of celebration and festivity, and thus he must know how to please the crowd. That is a skill that I have spent my life mastering, and as a result I am better known and better loved by more people than many men of greater skill than myself. Your friend, Liornung, whom I saw you with earlier, he is one such person. I can only dream of possessing the skill of that man!” As he contemplated this his eyes shone and his voice rose into a singing register.

Their conversation was stilled by the conclusion of the current song. Instead of another wooden chip being drawn from the cup, though, the Chamberlain stood forth and commended all the Contestants for their performance this day. Like a wave in the Sea it hit Hearpwine that everyone who was to sing that day had performed, and his stomach contracted into a tight knot. Suddenly oblivious to the presence of Asad and Eorcyn, his eyes were locked onto the small group of courtiers and nobles who gathered around the King’s Throne. Everyone in the Hall was equally quiet as they strained to hear the deliberations, but the people gathered about the King kept their voices low. The debate grew quite heated, and some occasional words escaped the tightly knit circle, but nothing that would indicate which way the debate was going. At one point, Hearpwine’s heart flew into his mouth, and there were a few stifled gasps from the people gathered about him, as the Lady Éowyn openly pointed at him while speaking with the King.

Finally, the conversation was over and the King stepped forth. He stood in the middle of the Hall where the bards had sung and spoke to the people. “There have been, as I predicted, many great singers before us today, and much honour have they done to this Hall. Never before has there been such a display here, and I dare say that it will be long ere there is a gathering to match it. As you can all tell, it was difficult for us to reach a decision. The position of the Bard of Meduseld is a weighty one, and it is not to be given lightly.” He paused here as his eyes fell onto Hearpwine, Aras and Eorcyn. All other eyes in the crowd followed his, and those who stood before them fell away to either side, leaving an open space between the trio and the King. The hearts and faces of all the other bards fell. “It is with joy that I see the three mightiest singers this day have found one another out! All of you deserve great praise for what you have done this day, and all of you have my eternal thanks. Only one, however, can I choose as my Bard.” He paused again as he looked from one to the other. “Eorcyn!” he cried. “Step forward, and assume your place as the King’s Bard in the Golden Hall of Meduseld.”

The crash of thunderous applause, and the cries of the crowd were lost upon Hearpwine. As soon as the eyes of the Hall had left him, he moved into the darkness of the furthest corner and cast his cloak about his eyes.