View Single Post
Old 05-21-2004, 06:35 AM   #161
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Snaveling gazed at Tobias in wonderment, but not surprise, for he had come to expect the unexpected from his small friend. Still, the gift of a house to call his own was beyond his wildest imaginings. He fell silent before the gift, not knowing what to say. But in that moment there arose in his mind’s eye once more the image of his hunting lodge in its secluded valley. All his life he had sought this place, looking for a way to retire from the world and cut himself off from all human contact. That had always been his greatest wish and most fervent desire, but somehow, the idea of neat little home in the middle of the busy, populated land of the Halflings did not seem quite so bad… Even as he thought this, there was a rustle in the leaves about his lodge as of a great wind blowing through the valley. A storm of dust and dead leaves was blown about the scene, obscuring the lodge and the patio, the valley and the distant hills that gave their shadowy protection. Snaveling closes his eyes the better to see the home that he had carried in his imagination all the long years of his wanderings – and to bid it farewell.

When he opened his eyes again they were clear and happy. “Tell me,” he said through the thickness of his throat, “how many rooms does that house have?”

Toby looked at him and twitched his nose like a curious rat. “Five,” he replied. “Why?”

Snaveling smiled. “It’s perfect. I cannot thank you enough my friend, so I shall not try.” He sighed deeply and fought back the prickle that he felt at the corner of his eyes. “I have spent my life leaving one place for another, but never before has departing brought such a sadness. It is as though I would weep for joy – I am saddened to leave, but it gladdens my very heart that I have cause for such sorrow.” Toby smiled at him and bit back his own tears. In silence, Snaveling knelt to the floor and hugged the elderly hobbit to his chest. He held him like that for a long moment before pulling away. A sudden impulse came to him, and acting upon it without thinking he took the small amulet from about his neck and handed it to his friend. “Take this,” he said, thrusting it into Toby’s hand. “It is the only truly precious object that I possess. I gather that it is worth quite a bit of money. I can never repay your kindness and friendship, but I can replace the money that I…borrowed from you, and it should go some way to deferring the costs of that house.”

Toby tried to hand the amulet back. “No, no; I cannot accept this. It is the only thing you have of your home land!”

“This is my home,” the Man of the South replied. “Keep it, in token of that, and as my oath that I shall return for it someday.”

From behind him, he heard a small voice calling out his name. Turning, he saw young Pimpernel at the door of the Inn. “Mister Snaveling, sir,” he said breathlessly as he rushed forward, “begging your pardon, sir, but I’ve been sent by the Ranger Woman Roa. She says she’s found a horse for you sir, but that it will take time to saddle it. She’s eager to leave as soon as can be, so she’s bid me tell you to meet her at the bridge as soon as you can!”

Snaveling looked at Toby once more, and then across the room at Aman. The Innkeeper smiled at him and Snaveling bowed to her in response. He swept his eyes across the Common Room and saw the signs of the recent labour, some small portion of it his, that had gone into making this place. “Run back lad and tell Roa that I am on my way. I am ready to leave.” Pimpernel ducked his head and flew out the door.

Snaveling bent and picked up his pack, then strode from the room without looking back. He crossed the yard quickly, but when he got to the gate he paused for a moment, his hand on the gatepost, and then turned to look back. The Green Dragon Inn was lovely. It’s freshly carved and fitted timbers glowed with the warmth of the place and from the little chimneys all about its gables and eaves there poured the smoke of its happy denizens. Through the windows he could hear the sounds of the people inside as they carried on their conversations. But a wind came up from the south, stirring his cloak and beckoning him away. Turning once more he walked down the Road and soon left the Inn behind him.