View Single Post
Old 08-15-2021, 11:42 PM   #1
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe Galadriel: with what was each member tempted?

What do you think Galadriel tempted each member of the company with? How did they answer that temptation? We know she offered Sam his heart's desire: a return home, and a bit of garden of his own. We can guess at Boromir's temptation, as he voiced it to Frodo on Amon Hen: using the ring to defend Gondor himself, becoming a hero who tears down Barad-dur.

What about the others?

In Frodo's conversation with Gandalf in Hobbiton in the chapter "The Shadow of the Past," Frodo wishes "it need not have happened in my time." I believe that Galadriel would have offered him that: a postponement. He would be able to live out his life in Bag End, wearing the ring no more often than Bilbo had--or not at all--visit Bilbo in Rivendell on holiday, and the ring could be left for another age, another heir to decide. It would be everything he wanted... but then he would be faced with the ethics of giving such a heavy burden to the next generation. How could he, knowing what he knows? The temptation would lift the sense of unfairness for him, but leave him just a little resentful as the image passes and he becomes aware of just how impossible that option is.

What about the others? What do you think? What were they tempted with, and how did they address that temptation?

Last edited by Marileangorifurnimaluim; 08-15-2021 at 11:46 PM.
Marileangorifurnimaluim is offline   Reply With Quote