View Single Post
Old 01-30-2006, 10:32 AM   #4
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I would agree with Eomer of the Rohirrim regarding this last sequence. Haven't had the time to count the fetched by Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli, but the number is a bit high. At least Aragorn, after his bout with Lurtz, looks like he was in a fight (Gimli gets dirty from falling down, as we will see in TTT).

Remember that there was some concern about having a 'Lurtz,' but as this name is just an easier way to designate "the orc formerly known as Saruman's troop leader," I wasn't too put off by that. Having another Tolkien-named orc would change the story a bit, especially if this headless orc were to have some part in TTT, and surely PJ wouldn't want to tamper with the text . I think that PJ wanted to have a 'boss' for Aragorn to fight, and Lurtz the UberUruk was it.

Aragorn, as noted, even here goes with the headchopping, as we'd also seen in the Battle at Mazarbul. What's up with PJ with that? Is there no other way to vanquish a stout foe other than to 'unburden his shoulders?'

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that Boromir's death was not in FotR, but placed there by PJ. It makes perfect sense to me, as it was a great way to end the movie and waiting over a year to find Boromir's perforated body wouldn't have the same emotional impact as seeing it here, after traveling with him for over an hour. The FotR ending allows for more possibilities for starting The Two Towers, as the Three Hunters are on the move and Frodo and Sam have started their journey to Mordor.

No thread was left untied.