View Single Post
Old 01-26-2006, 04:34 PM   #2
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Quote:
But as someone in this forum noted, forgiveness must be followed with some kind of sacrifice, and the usual would be to spill blood.
I think that was me. Boromir's death seems to mimic the Anglo-Saxon Laws of Compensation.

This is mainly going to seem like a regurgitation of what you have said alatar, because these scenes were done absolutely wonderfully by Jackson and crew. It made a nice wrap up to the Fellowship and brought a good movie to a close while setting up for the next movie.

I'm going to start down the Anduin. I love these camera shots a lot of them are high angle shots looking down as if they're being watched. Then once the Orcs are on their trail the music picks up, there's several quick shots of the Fellowship nervously looking around. A big change from the beginning when they first depart from Lorien, a slow, somber move down the River as it seems the Fellowship is having trouble leaving Lorien. They're just kind of slowly floating down the river remembering their gifts and their stay in Lorien. But, as time progresses the Uruk-hai are on their tails and everything picks up. The Chase begins! I love these scenes down the Anduin. Not much action, but the mood changes from a slow, somberness, to quicken up and pick up the pace.

I love how the Extended Edition added in the little quarrel with Boromir and Aragorn. To kind of continue the discussion from last thread. Boromir is looking for a solution to save Gondor. In the books, from the beginning Boromir accepts Aragorn coming to Minas Tirith (or atleast Anduril, not so much Aragorn). Boromir shows content for having Anduril return to Gondor and perhaps serve as a weapon against Sauron. Though he's still not too thrilled about Aragorn. The movies it takes a little longer but he begins to see Aragorn as a friend, and wants him to come to Minas Tirith. Though certainly Boromir is wrong about taking the ring to Minas Tirith, very very bad move, Boromir does bring up a good point against Aragorn in that he doesn't trust his own people. I think here Boromir is trying to get Aragorn to step up and accept his "fate." This added "quarrel" only makes the last scene between the two more clear when Aragorn says:
Quote:
"I will not let the White City fall, nor OUR people fail."
This is crucial as I think it's the first time Aragorn really steps out and accepts what he has to do. Before anytime Boromir says Minas Aragorn screams "No!" But, this is the first big change in Aragorn and I don't see it as Aragorn just saying it to trying to comfort Boromir and give him a happy ending, but Aragorn stepping up and making an oath (one of those important oaths Fordim did threads on a while back). Not only an oath, but an oath to a dying man promising him that he won't fail OUR people. I think it's that right there where Boromir sees Aragorn not just as his equal, but as his King. Aragorn for the first time has stepped up and accepted his path.

Now Jackson definitely adds to this final scene between Boromir and Aragorn, but I think it's a good thing. Tolkien's not as strong with it, what I mean is Boromir doesn't call Aragorn his King, and Aragorn doesn't say "our people," but when we get to the nitty-gritty the fact remains the same. Boromir bestows on Aragorn the challenge of saving his people, and Aragorn accepts this and says Minas Tirith will not fall. It still remains that Aragorn pledged to Boromir and as Faramir tells us:
Quote:
"...he died well, acheiving some good thing. His face was more beautiful even than in life."
So, it still remains the same in that when we get to the bottom of it Boromir doesn't want the ring for selfish power. He wanted an answer to save his country, and he saw the Ring in that answer. When he comes to realize what he did, he now sees Aragorn as the answer and Aragorn steps out and makes one of them oaths to Boromir.

Well I'm done ranting about Boromir, some other things in this sequence.

We have a little Gimli humor in this scene, but again I'm not annoyed by it. I chuckled at the comments exchanged between Aragorn and Gimli. It was funny, but I didn't lose sight of who Gimli was, as I do once we get into TTT and ROTK.

Also, I liked how Jackson concluded the movie. "Let's hunt some orc" is rather corny, but I think it works. It closes up the story, and sets up for the next movie. The Fellowship HAS not ended, it has only begun, now they must go after and save their friends. While Frodo must set off (with of course Sam) to Mordor.

I also like the little flashback Frodo has of Gandalf. This works wonderfully. Frodo is at a cross-roads, he knows what he has to do, but he needs something to propel him to do it. Boromir gives him a good reason to, of course, but that's still not enough, and so this memory of Gandalf giving some great advice:
Quote:
"So, do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All you have to decide is what to do with the time it is given to you."
There's a little hint about higher powers, and not being in control of everything, but also one is in control of what happens. Gandalf here hints at fate "but that is not for them to decide..." Frodo didn't decide to come across the Ring, Bilbo didn't decide, it happened, it was "ment to happen." But, what Frodo does have to do is HE has to make the choice about what to do with the Ring, and he alone. So, eventhough it was some sort of fate that led Frodo (and Bilbo) to the ring, ultimately they have the choice of what to do with it. Just as Isildur was faced with the choice and he decided to take it.

These are probbably my favorite scenes from this first movie (maybe even the trilogy, I'll have to think about that), as all of it was done extremely well. Acted well, directed well, played out well, the whole bag of marbles.