View Single Post
Old 07-03-2003, 11:51 AM   #125
Annunfuiniel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Annunfuiniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The dawn was yet to break when the company had already risen. Their second day up on the mountains was beginning bright but cold with a grim wind from north-east. Elves, Men and Dwarves broke their fast in silence. They dared to lit no fire fearing that the dragon might see it.

Gráin sat alone, a half-eaten slice of bread in his hand, and gazed west and north, up the towering slopes of Ered Luin. There’s much climbing to be done yet, he mused cheerlessly while taking another bite of his bread and flushing it down with a sip of water. And to what end? –Doom and death…

Gráin turned away from what lay ahead and sought the pale eastern horizon with a sudden longing. Then, against the lightening sky, he saw the grey figure of his brother and his longing changed to determination. No greater doom can befall us… But death shan’t take us! We will get back home!

Vráin felt a tickle in his neck and raised his head with a sigh. That feeling had become only too familiar during the past days. He tried to steer his unseeing eyes towards Farin beside him.

"Gráin’s staring at me, isn’t he?" "Let me guess: with worried look?" he added with a grin.

Farin's heart jumped at the sight of Vráin’s smile. Only now she realized how much she’d missed it. She turned around and indeed; Gráin’s keen eyes were fixed on Vráin in deep thought.

"Yes he is. But I’d say he looks determined rather than worried."

"Uh-oh, that doesn’t bode well! The combination of my brother and determination usually means trouble to me." Vráin’s laughter was low but clear and cordial as he stood up; "We’d better get out of his reach before it’s too late. Come Farin, show me the way!"

Farin sprang up and took Vráin’s outstretched arm. "Well, now he looks a bit worried," she said to him with a sparkle in her eyes.

What the…? Where are they going now? We should be leaving in a moment…

"Nice to see your brother is feeling better. But I hope they don’t go far as we are about ready to set off."

Gráin’s musings were interrupted by a deep voice. He turned to meet the stare of grey Elven eyes, keen but kind. With a nod he gestured Lenwe to sit down beside him.

"They can’t go far that way. See, there’s that cliff and then a dead-end." Gráin pointed towards where the landing suddenly and steeply fell into an abyss. Then he grinned and continued. "Anyway, if you’d just call 'Let’s go and hunt the dragon!' I’ll warrant my brother would be striding in the vanguard before the echoes of your shout died away."

Gráin looked at Lenwe and then behind him where the mountain slopes loomed, still wrapped in night-blue shadows - and his smile faded.

"Tell me," he began; "what hope do we have?"

Lenwe’s eyes followed Gráin’s gaze. "We will find the road if that’s what you mean. But how to beat the dragon… I thought you knew the answer to that question: Dwarves have had dealings with these beasts in the past if I remember correctly."

Gráin fingered his flagon in silence, trying to recall everything he knew about dragons. At last he spoke up:

"His eyes… Eyes are his weak spot. And the skin in his chest is softer than elsewhere: a mighty blow might pierce it. But it has to be well-aimed – straight to the heart."

"There you have it!" Lenwe exclaimed; "Maybe faint hope but hope still." Then he took a scroll from his pack and unfolded it in his lap. "Now this is the road we’ll take…"

Vráin and Farin stopped at the verge of the cliff. Farin leaned forward and peeked over the edge into the black chasm.

"That’s one mighty fall! I’d…" Farin started but ceased as Vráin suddenly squeezed her hand tighter. She raised her eyes at his face and was frightened by his grave expression.

"Farin…" Vráin stammered, not knowing how to begin. Then he took a deep breath and said the words that first came to his mind: "Farin, I know your secret."

In the deep silence that followed Vráin was sure he could hear the mountain cracking under him. Farin’s hand felt cold in his clutch. Then he couldn’t take it anymore but took an abrupt turn towards Farin – and nearly slipped over the brim!

Only Farin’s quick action saved him. As Vráin swayed on one foot she leaned backwards and pulled with all her strength. She fell on her right side and Vráin came stumbling down, partly over her.

For a short while they didn’t move or speak. Then Farin let out a muffled 'Ouch', rather to say something than because she was in pain. Vráin scrambled up, red-faced and murmuring apologies. "No harm done" Farin muttered in return and drew herself up, taking a quick look towards the camp. No-one seemed to have noticed the little incident.

Vráin cleared his throat and began anew. "Farin, I know who you are or what you are… I mean…" he paused again. What do you mean? he asked himself – and suddenly he knew the answer as if someone had called it out loud.

"You know what I mean. And now I say this: I’m glad that I was blinded for now my mind has opened. I have seen deeper: I have seen the thoughts of my heart… And – though without knowing it – you have let me glimpse at your heart as well. Don’t feel guilty! You couldn’t have stopped what was meant to happen. And as I said I’m now grateful for that blow." Vráin swallowed and his palms sweated. "It brought you near me...and I wouldn’t change that for anything."

Farin felt it difficult to breath and she could hear her heart throb wild. She gazed up but tears veiled her sight. And then she saw Vráin like Vráin saw her – without seeing. She felt him close, his hands over hers, trembling… All was clear to her and to him as if they had proclaimed their love to the whole world from that very mountain; cried the message of joy into the wind for it to bear far and wide.

And just then there came a new wind: a fresh breeze from West over the sea and the mountain. Like a lost friend returned it kissed their cheeks and whispered to them:

"Open your eyes to the beauty of the world and a new dawn - together."

Farin turned towards east to witness the beginning of a new day. First golden rays of the sun peeked over the horizon and she gasped at the sight of the most beautiful sunrise she had ever seen.

"Vráin…our day has come." She managed to breathe. Vráin squeezed her hand as he once more turned to her and spoke:

"Yes, my love. So I see." And his grey eyes, filled with tears of bliss, gazed straight at her;

"I see!"

[ July 03, 2003: Message edited by: Annunfuiniel ]