View Single Post
Old 11-09-2003, 08:12 AM   #22
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

*applauds Child of the 7th Age*

I sincerely agree with you. Much of the perspective of the characters in the book influences how the reader sees them. To the Hobbits, small, vulnerable, and needing guidance, Aragorn seems like a mighty King of old, flowing cloak, gleaming sword, etc. They don't really get much of a chance to know him as a person, and thus, he seems like the archetypal hero-king.

Another thing that I have noticed is that many people don't "like" Frodo because they claim that he is just too weak. I beg to differ. Throughout his possession of the One Ring, all of Frodo's resources are directed inward, to help him wage a war inside himself to resist his temptation to claim the Ring. When all of his resources and mental capabilities are diverted like that, it is extremely difficult to "take care of yourself." That was why he needed Sam.

Some people also dislike Sam because they claim his love for Frodo has homosexual undercurrents. That is absolutely preposterous. Along with the blessing of more openness in this society, has come the curse of seeing innuendo in just about every part of daily life. Yes, it is rare to find a completely platonic relationship in which two people love each other completely, but the Frodo-Sam relationship is indeed one such rarity.

[ November 09, 2003: Message edited by: Finwe ]
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote