View Single Post
Old 11-11-2003, 02:53 PM   #8
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"
Well, in fifteen years, CT probably won't be living, and his somewhat stringent policies may not be enforced so much."

Like Aiwendil, I wish CJRT many long and healthy years.

I do however tend to agree that the only way this might ever see publication is if someone else [other than CJRT] has the final say. He already regrets his editorial work in the Ruin of Doriath [which I think he should receive only praise for] and would doubtless look on our efforts as largely at least, as cheeky as Bilbo writing songs about Earendil in his son's House.

If perchance all of the Tolkien scholars such as Shippey, Fleiger, Hosttetter and co. read it and thought it was worthy of publication, then it might have a chance.

However the further into this we go, and the further we contemplate major changes such as to the end of the Ruin of Doriath, the less likely it will be seen as anything other than of of dozens of possible 'Expanded Silmarillions', none more justifiable than any other.

This does not make it any less worthy imo, nor does do anything but increase the possibility that someone with close connections to the estate may try something similar [not that I wish it on anyone!] but of course should we finish this, whatever different changes someone/others would make they would certainly have the terrain well mapped out for them by virtue of our work. And we might even score a footnote in an 'Official Expanded Silmarillion'.
[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ November 12, 2003: Message edited by: lindil ]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote