View Single Post
Old 11-08-2011, 06:18 PM   #1215
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
She had surprised him again, but this time Scyld was ready with his reply almost immediately. Unfortunately, though, he was forced to wait, and he turned his attention to Rowenna, studying her as they came around to face each other.

He had been so caught up wondering whether he could trust her that he had forgotten about the opposite problem. Could she trust him? Trust him with what?

Sorn had trusted him, in his way, but Scyld had never felt liking or loyalty to Sorn. Linduial, too, had trusted him, though he had always thought her trust misplaced. In the end, he had helped her out of his own self-interest. Trust was foolish, too easy to betray.

That being said, by comparison there was nothing at risk here. No lives hung in the balance (save his, should his part in Linduial's kidnapping be found out). He supposed it might be considered misleading that he was here under an assumed name, but who did not have secrets in their past?

They drew back together, and Scyld said to her, "If I said that you could trust me, would you believe me? For if I was untrustworthy and wished to take you in, would I not still say yes?"