View Single Post
Old 08-27-2008, 11:41 AM   #24
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindale View Post
typically Victorian-English, a tropical girl thinks. a bit Jane Eyre-ish, on the reverse. keep those feelings inside until you're sure there's nobody who would see you cry or something.

But then didn't society at that time encourage ladies of class to know how to play piano and play it for guests, family affairs, or just for recreation?
Unfortunately Edith was brought up in a world where showing your emotion wasn't really done... and while ladies were expected to be accomplished and learn an instrument to provide entertainment in the days when if you wanted music you ahd to play it. However it seems that Edith had a talent beyond the competence needed for a sing a long or whatever. There is a world of difference between someone who can amuse their family and themselves (such as my mother playing nursery rhymes and old songs for me as a child) and a concert standard executant such as my great aunt and potentially Edith who would be no more fulfil their talent by playing for their family than a great chef would be by boiling an egg. Sadly the musical talent skipped me - I have done some choral singing but I don't have a "voice" alas, but have friends who are professional and it is a different league.

The practice is not a always pleasure for a casual listener oir even an interested one. It can be hours of repetition of a single phrase in the room with the best acoustics - not really practical with an academic husband and four small children. And why bother if you aren't going to perform.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote