View Single Post
Old 01-24-2005, 05:53 PM   #23
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Lhunardawen, I wouldn't kill you because I always think the same way about this chapter.
However, when re-reading LOTR I also think of the entwives who had their gardens in the brownlands (When they weren't any brownlands yet) That thought always makes me very sad because you do get a very strong sense that the magic in ME is waning and that certain things are coming at an end.
Of course this is amphisized by the knowledge that the Fellowship may have to be split up and that some may never see eachother again.

One reason why I always think of the Argonath is because there is something about the descriptionthat Tolkien used which makes me remember them.

Quote:Upon great pedestals founded in the deep waters stood two great kings of stone:still with blurred eyes and crannied brows they frowned upon the North.The Left hand of each was raised palm outwards in gesture of warning;in each right hand there was an axe;upon each head there was a crumbling helm and crown.

Of course this once again shows that Gondor has weakened since the days of old. In general all these kind of images give me a feeling of sadness.