View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 08:15 AM   #117
elvet
Pile O'Bones

elvet has just left Hobbiton.
I'm a big fan of both the books and the movies. I consider the movies to be an interpretation of the books, so I don't mind the inconsistencies. They are 2 different medias, each with it's own way of telling the story. I am glad that the Hobbit landed on Peter Jackson's lap, since I think he makes an effort to be faithful to the book, yet still have an entertaining film for the non-readers. Plus, he has the resources to have all the bells and whistles.
Having said that, I still have some criticisms about the film (when compared to the previous film experiences, not compared to the book). In some ways it was truer to the source than the LotR movies, but I thought the previous movies worked better. I didn't like the rehash of LotR's scenes - Gandalf and the moth, Gandalf and company in goblintown (shades of Moria), the mountain pass rock avalanches, etc. As much as I love the new Song of the Lonely Mountain, the rest of the soundtrack felt recycled to me. I saw the film in 24fps 3D and 48fps 3D. The latter just seemed liked seeing HD TV for the first time, much less blur. I enjoyed both versions of the movie. I'm seeing it in 3D IMAX this weekend, it will be interesting to compare.
Thing I liked about the movie:
- It still grabbed me emotionaly. The dwarf version of the Song of the Lonely mountain gave me shivers. I teared up when the eagles came to get Thorin and was stirred by Bilbo's moment of 'staying his hand". The sleigh bunnies were just too cute, and I couldn't help but giggle at those scenes.
- I liked that Jackson focused on a few of the dwarves, trying to get camera time and dialogue for all 13 would have been too confusing.
- His choice of 'hunky' dwarves worked for me. I fell for Thorin, Fili and Kili and am going to be an emotional wreck at the Battle of 5 armies.
elvet is offline   Reply With Quote