View Single Post
Old 01-24-2007, 10:14 AM   #25
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar
It's not only that history is written by the victors, but also by a set of persons with a certain and limited point of view. 100 years from now we may realize that it was the Peter Jackson movies that radically changed the world; today they're just another set of fantasy movies based on some books. No one pays much attention to what happened during those 18 months in New Zealand, and even those that did may have missed the forest for the trees, or the mallorn for the maples. The persons documenting the feat, and those editing the miles of footage may have thought that they were capturing the essence of the event, but what they missed, seemingly unimportant, may be that proverbial mustard seed.

. . .

I see that people are more interested in Atlantis than Rome or Ur. Mayan carvings thousands of years old are thought to be of spaceships. When they are proved to be terrestrial, interest wanes. So, this being the trend, to encourage education and maintain rolls in government schools, we may see a shift to "edutainment," where you might learn that your great-great-greats had wooly toes.
Yeah, throw away history and cultural artifacts and what are we left with but Celeb Couples Of the Moment. Andy Warhol where are you now--or is he one of those dead white male artists we are supposed to forget?

Then again, it's good to remember that Tolkien was part of an historical reconstruction of the Anglo Saxon era. We may see more stars these days, but there's lost texts that even he couldn't find.

Last edited by Bęthberry; 01-24-2007 at 10:18 AM.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote