View Single Post
Old 09-19-2002, 09:34 AM   #61
Bill Ferny
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bill Ferny has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Extremely interesting thread, and the posts are absolutely extraordinary! From my experience you will often find kinder, more faith filled posts on forums not directly related to websites devoted to the subject. This is certianly true as regards this forum. I've spent the last two hours reading and re-reading the posts on this thread. I think that all of you who have posted here are intelligent, wise, and brave.

I really appreciate Craban's post, and what he says highlights the danger in calling Tolkien a theologian. As a Catholic, I can see decidely Catholic themes, such as original sin, the communion of saints, faith and works, the Virgin Mary, liturgy, etc in Tolkien's works, as well as aspects of more general Christian mythology and cosmology. However, like JRRT, himself, I wouldn't characterize his Middle Earth as a Christian allegory, especially to the extent that C.S. Lewis allegorizes in his books.

These elements are present in Tolkien because, like all writers and storytellers, he wove his story from what he knew and experienced. JRRT was a devote Christian, so obviously his experiences as a Christian come through. He was also to one degree or another an archiologist, historian, linguist, student of mythology, and a lover of Anglo-Saxon England. All these elements of the author's life shine equally with his Christianity. In my mind, that makes Tolkien's Middle Earth a land for all peoples.

If Tolkien can be called a theologian to any degree, he would have to be characterized as a moral theologian. The one consistent theme through all his many weaves is the enduring and unrelenting will of the virtuous soul in the face of evil. Despite all the fury of hell, there is in the heart of all the ability to do good as long as one keeps faith. That is a Catholic notion, a Christian notion, a religious notion, a spiritual notion, a human notion no matter what greater power one may perceive.