View Single Post
Old 04-28-2003, 03:53 PM   #22
the Only Real Estel

Pipe

Not quite screetching I guess. In the books it states fairly clearly that it was a Black Rider on his winged mount, although Tolkien never actually SAID it, as you pointed out. But the books do quote Frodo as saying, among other things, "Whatever it was, its FALL has dismayed our enemies." I think that states pretty clearly that the beast fell, although obviously not the blackrider on it (which of course could only be killed by destroying Sauron's ring [lets not have a discussion about that, even if you do disagree with me, please!]). If anybody wants to read it and form their own opinions, but doesn't know were to look ( I'd forgotten were it was), it's in Book 2 ( of The Fellowship of the Ring), chapter 9 (The Great River), page 436. Anyway, all this to say what I said before, 'even if Farimir had killed the winged beast in Osgiliath ( As Legolas and done already), there was nothing to stop the Blackrider from calling all his evil minion buddies to the scene to pursue Frodo, as I thought he'd have likely done. I'm done typing! <p>[ April 28, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]