View Single Post
Old 11-18-2003, 01:28 AM   #64
Kryssal
Wight

Kryssal has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Tane walked over to the Ranger who seemed to be beaten down by the news. Gripping his shoulder Tane spoke firmly, "Ride with me back to camp." Awyrgan's eyes popped a bit. "The Hillmen may react to these deaths very badly. I need to speak with Calumdril. I want you to go back with me and take up your post."

Tane didn't want Awyrgan to lapse into a fit of hate against their allies, his temper was well known and he didn't put Calumdril in a good light with his report. Giving him a specific task was a way to keep his mind slightly occupied, and if needed, he would still be in town for easy questioning.

The Cat's grey eyes were staring at his new leader with a varying intensity that Tane couldn't quite decifer. The Cat, it was a short name used in reference to Awyrgan by his close friends, yet Tane didn't know if he fit there yet. Giving a mental shake he came back as Awyrgan nodded and headed out the cabin.

Calling in the Ranger who had been there when Awyrgan had come back Tane quickly explained where he was going and why while he strapped on his gear. One never knew what would happen in tumultous lands. The Ranger's name was Hothem and he would be the camps temporary leader while Tane was out. He was a competent man, though not much of a politician.

Small flashes of thoughts like nick names and a Ranger's skills kept surfacing on Tane's mind while he tried to concentrate on the task at hand. Behind the surface he knew he was simply delaying facts that Thorgil, the leader of the Rangers was no more and he was the new commander. Perhaps he needed the real evidence of the dead body to show the truth, though if he thought on it, he knew he wouldn't need that proof.

Hurrying out he rode double with Awyrgan to where his horse was. It took longer than either Ranger liked for Tane to put the tack on Skit, yet soon he mounted with a slight wince coming to his face. In his haste he mounted with his right leg and the unwanted movement caused a twinge of pain to race through his body.

Taking lead with the fresher of the two horses, the new leader of the Rangers headed out toward the budding village.