View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 12:05 PM   #130
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Valimar vs Angband-or, the War of Wrath

Naturally, I'll be supporting Angband here. They deserve it-they've faced far tougher opposition than Valimar to reach this level, their tactics have been innovative, and with Melkor, Gothmog, Maeglin and Ancalagon their offensive line up is more than solid.

However, I fear I'll be disappointed. One-to-one, Valimar captain Varda has a history of dealing with Melkor; she alone represents Valimar's star quality (ouch) but she's an extremely powerful asset. Valimar striker Yavanna has reported that the team is feeling confident, and I expect, annoyingly, they're right to be.

Winner: Epic match, but Valimar

Likely Scorers: May go to penalties. Otherwise Varda, Yavanna, Melkor, Gothmog, maybe Maeglin.

Barrowdowns vs Arnor-or, Cold be Heart and Hand and Bone

Arnor's a decent team and I have respect for it; it was below par last match and can do much better. As the clear underdog, I will be supporting it for this match.

However, against its traditional nemesis, which has showed exceptional skill this season, I don't think Arnor have much hope, even with new striker fresh from Angle United Halbarad. Barrow-Downs will probably romp through this one to the semis.

Winner: Solid victory to Barrow-Downs

Likely Scorers: Saucepanman, Sleepy Ranger, Arvedui, Arathorn, maybe Halbarad

Gondor vs. Nargothrond-or, Vanished Glory

Again I find myself sympathising with the likely loser. Gondor has beaten Angband itself early on, so the last Elven team in the championship are going to have a hard time of it. They do have the living legend Turin and the superb Finrod, but Gondor's forward combination of Aragorn, Faramir and Boromir has not yet seen defeat.

If Nargothrond succeed in signing the famous Heart of Himlad duo Celegorm and Curufin-a deal coach Finrod has high hopes of as Celegorm was the original captain of Nargothrond City-things may be closer. But the Sons of Feanor charge an extortionate fee that may be beyond the team's resources.

Winner: Close victory to Gondor

Likely Scorers: Aragorn, Faramir, Boromir, Turin, Finrod

Shire vs Mordor-or, A Fool's Hope

Come now, Saucie must have been joking or drunk. How can mere Hobbits dream of defeating the Dark Lord? What a ludicrous idea...

Winner: Isn't it obvious?

Likely Scorers: Everyone on the Mordor team. Three times each. Honestly, let's hope the Halflings have made their wills, ha ha ha...