View Single Post
Old 09-06-2023, 03:30 AM   #231
Arvegil145
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arvegil145 has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Findegil View Post
You mean a Tale of the Years for the First Age of the Sun I suppose, since the Second and Third Age are covered in the cannon published by JRR Tolkien himself.

Since we only have texts from Tolkien for The Tale of the Years for the last section of the First Age, I don't see how we could under our rules create such a text. Beside that we would have to fix not only a sequence of events, which is hard enough in parts, but we would have to put fixed dates on any event mentioned in such text. That is asking for a lot of dispute and the result would be questionaled at best.

Respectfully
Findegil
You misunderstand me - I'm not talking about the 'Tale of Years' from WotJ.

I'm talking more about a 'Chronology of Arda', so to speak - covering everything from the beginning of the world all the way to the events of 'The New Shadow' (and maybe even beyond that - all the way to the Seventh Age, which is attested in the NoME).

For example, we have an approximate year for the end of the Fourth Age (c. FoA 2700) - as per PoME.

Besides, I'm not advocating for any in-depth depiction of the events - just cursory ones, so that readers can have a go-to reference for any date relating to events/characters/etc.

Last edited by Arvegil145; 09-06-2023 at 03:36 AM.
Arvegil145 is offline   Reply With Quote