Thread: Ending of RotK
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2002, 12:36 PM   #19
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien

Birdland --<P>The movie ending with Frodo narrating????<P>That's an intriguing idea, and very different from Tolkien. One of my frustrations at the end of the book is that we only get to see Frodo' suffering from the outside in. The way the narration is set up, we don't ever really know what Frodo himself is thinking. We can guess why Frodo is so ill and also read what Tolkien later said in his letters, but so many questions are really unanswered. (I was actually thinking of doing a thread on this in Books to get people's opinions.)<P>The only exception I remember is the scene as they travel where Gandalf asks Frodo if he is hurting. Frodo replies yes and indicates that some hurting may not be able to be fixed in this world. And Gandalf says nothing.<P>To have Frodo narrate at the end would be for us to see things through his own eyes.<BR>That would not be easy to do, at least if PJ wants to say anything at all beyond the bare outline of the story. Maybe that's all he'd put, a few stark sentences about fading, sacrifice, and change. (At which point Child breaks down sobbing in the movie theater and has to be removed by her embarassed husband and children!)<P>Would he go beyond this? Probably not, but to have an idea of why it happened........ or even the perspective Frodo had on things.. Very tricky indeed!