Thread: A Question
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2023, 12:21 PM   #8
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
My search for puns has uncovered a bit more about Boromir. I'm not yet near responding about Denethor but again I'm less keen on considering Boromir a true hero; he lacks wisedom and unlike Gandalf the Grey and Aragorn is rarely prone to considering his own error, until, of course, he submits to the greatest one.

In the Council of Elrond not only does he speak proudly and vaingloriously, but even after hearing of Saruman's fall--a betrayal he calls it--and even after the retelling of the fateful events of Isildur's bane, he is still eager to suggest that the Free Lords use the Ring themselves, for good he claims, dismissing the possibility of even the good side falling to evil. "Take it and go forth to victory!" he says.

Boromir does provide important force and strength on Caradhra (and fights valiantly in Moria) but outside the Door to Moria, as all are losing patience at their inability to open the door, Boromir excercises his frustration by casting a large stone into the dark water. Even Frodo questions the action. While it is unclear what provokes the Watcher in the Water, it is shortly after that disturbance of the water that the Watcher appears to threaten the Fellowship. Boromir might have the needful quality of a military leader but he lacks one important quality of leadership, wisdom.

Perhaps as I move on in my search for more puns, I will find cause to address the question of Denethor.