Thread: Frodo and Bilbo
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 03:26 PM   #45
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Good idea to revive this thread, Alatar!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post
I started thinking about Frodo's life before he left the Shire, and then wondered if he was warm to some Hobbit lass or two, or if this was even on his mind at the time (Sackville-Bagginses married quite young)
I had been contemplating this too, especially after reading some fanfictions...

But I think Frodo was always an exceptional hobbit, already long before the quest (probably through all that he had been taught by Bilbo). There was always a longing in him for something higher.
Quote:
Frodo went tramping all over the Shire with them; but more often he wandered by himself, and to the amazement of sensible folk he was sometimes seen far from home walking in the hills and woods under the starlight. Merry and Pippin suspected that he visited the Elves at times, as Bilbo had done.
I guess there were just no hobbit lasses around that would have been a match for Frodo, that would have understood him!

And look at this quote:
Quote:
‘I should like to save the Shire, if I could - though there have been times when I thought the inhabitants too stupid and dull for words, and have felt that an earthquake or an invasion of dragons might be good for them.
Well, considering this opinion he could hardly find anyone in the Shire to fall in love with!

On the other hand, when Frodo greets Goldberry, he behaves almost a bit like someone falling in love...
Quote:
‘Fair lady Goldberry!’ said Frodo at last, feeling his heart moved with a joy that he did not understand. He stood as he had at times stood enchanted by fair elven-voices; but the spell that was now laid upon him was different: less keen and lofty was the delight, but deeper and nearer to mortal heart; marvellous and yet not strange.
And after the quest, he's too estranged and damaged anyway, poor Hobbit!