View Single Post
Old 11-08-2003, 10:37 AM   #7
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I hope Christopher Tolkien is still living in fifteen years.

And I hope it doesn't take us fifteen years to finish this! (Though estimates have placed completion as far in the future as 2105).

I must say that I think the analogy to works by Faulkner, Tolstoy, and Melville is a bit misleading. Those are all completed works, put into a final form by their authors. To edit them seems more than a little unjustified. Tolkien never completed his greatest work (if he had, this project would not exist). I think this project is more justified, therefore. (And I realize you were not criticizing the justification for this project - quite the contrary).

Nonetheless, I see no hope of having it published. And, to be honest, I'm not really sure whether publication would be a good thing for it. As far as I'm concerned, this project is intended for us, our friends and family, and any fellow fans that manage to track us down.

Antoine: It never occurred to me that you and CT live in the same country! As hilarious as it would be to show up at his door out of nowhere babbling about a new Silmarillion (it's a scene I wouldn't miss for anything) I think you're right. That would probably hurt our chances rather than help them.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote