View Single Post
Old 08-06-2021, 02:09 AM   #30
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I've uploaded an image of the contents list, in case Google Books mucks anyone else around. Some more intriguing ones:

-Parts of the 'Generational Schemes' are visible in the various previews, and include lists of precisely when the later generations of Quendi were born. I also saw a note that the first generation ("Seniors") refused to go on the Great March, which is fascinating. Looking forward to burrowing into the details.

-'Elvish Life-Cycles' might include some stuff about the mysterious second and third stages in which elves grow beards.

-'Beauty and Goodness' has the potential to be either really enlightening or really uncomfortable. Given the existence of Sauron, and of "looks foul but feels fair", I hope for the former.

-'Gender and Sex' is interesting, because even if it's Hostetter's wording, it implies a separation on Tolkien's part. Best guess is that he's talking about gender roles - ie, more on 'women make lembas and tend to do healing'.

-'Descriptions of characters' is seven pages long! Could it be a note to an illustrator, like the notes for the Baynes map? Will Tolkien actually describe any characters, or just go on about how they 'feel'?

-'Mind-pictures'? Colour me intrigued.

-'The visible forms of the Valar and Maiar' could be a second descriptive piece, or could be philosophical musings on what their substance was.

-'Note on Elvish Economy': clearly all those early Gnomish words like 'lawyer' and 'slave' are about to become very important!

-'Dwellings in Middle-earth' could be locations, or types of houses.

-'The Founding of Nargothrond' I love because Nargothrond.

-'Of the Land and Beasts of Numenor' is 11 pages long! A substantial description.

-'Note on the Consumption of Mushrooms' is undoubtedly the most important piece in the entire book.

-'Galadriel and Celeborn' is ten pages which will undoubtedly just confuse things the more. I'm betting Galadriel is now Finwe's daughter who sailed to Middle-earth and back before the Noldolante, and Celeborn is a Silvan elf from over the mountains who crossed them by himself to meet her because Fate.

-'Note on Dwarvish Voices' is only a page long, but, like... what could it say? It's be hilarious if it was just "Memo: the dwarves DO NOT sound like Disney's."

And I'm sure there'll be more once we actually get the book... only a month to go!

hS