View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 07:22 AM   #1
CaptainFaramir13
Newly Deceased

CaptainFaramir13 has just left Hobbiton.
Origins of the Great Goblin

I have not read the Book of Lost Tales yet, but I was looking around on Tolkien Gateway and found the entry on the elf Salgant of Gondolin. It seems that the fate of this character is uncertain; the entry mentions that either Salgant died during the fall of Gondolin or that he “suffered an ill-fate” and became a “buffoon of Morgoth.”

Now I am wondering, assuming of course that Salgant did indeed survive, could Morgoth have made him into an orc, the Great Goblin perhaps. This would certainly be an “ill-fate.” The Great Goblin’s reaction to Orcrist suggests some familiarity with it, and if he was a noble in Gondolin and the sword was wielded by someone important in Gondolin he should be familiar with it. Also Salgant seems to be the only elf described as “heavy” and the Great Goblin is said to be “tremendous.” It is also interesting that Salgant was the chief of the house of the harp, and that the Goblins of Goblin Town are the only Orcs we see singing. I know a wiki is not the best source, so perhaps someone who has actually read the Book of Lost Tales can comment on the possibility of this theory. So what do you think, could Salgant have become the Great Goblin?
CaptainFaramir13 is offline   Reply With Quote