Thread: Saruman's ring
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 04:17 AM   #17
Ardent
Wight

Ardent has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
I'm not sure that "amplified" is the best word - "focused" may be more applicable...
If I've understood Lanwende's post #13 (and the links in it) correctly, then the rings acted as if to bridge the gap between the sub-conscious and conscious, or between the creative and logical sides of the brain. So if you're in fact a Maiar or Elf, who has a supernatural essence wrapped in a body, then a ring unlocks that nature.

I have often found that dreams and meditation present me with knowledge I didn't consciously realise I've picked up, but then I've always felt that I'm slower than most people; like Butterbur, slow of thought but able to see through a wall given time. Given the way some people use their mental agility I've often felt I'm in the presence of a Saruman, able to use words with malicious intent, or a Tom Bombadil, who can merrily run circles around me. I think Tom may have been unaffected by The Ring because his brain was permanently set on full awarness.

Another place where I find I have abilities which surprise me (if that makes sense) is in playing musical instruments. Again I'm slow at reading the music but when I stop seeing the dots and 'hear' the tune it all falls into place and my fingers somehow know what to do (and elbows; I play the uilleann pipes). There's something about the process that seems magical, especially when playing with other musicians to create harmonies and counter melodies (does that make me Melkor?). With Saruman it's as though he knows how to play people with his Voice.