Thread: Saruman's ring
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 06:04 AM   #2
Ardent
Wight

Ardent has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghanberryghan View Post
...Isengard was always meant to be a lesser version of Morder, so could Saruman's ring have had some of the similar effects of the One but to a lesser extent?
Sauron put both his power and his own character into his Ring, which is why anyone else wearing it would be corrupted by it. I do not think it's a case of the similarity lying in the rings (of Sauron and Saruman) but in their makers who, unlike the elven ring maker and bearers, both wished to dominate. Both Gandalf and Galadriel give us a glimpse of what they could become if they wished to dominate, and each would be terrible in their own way.

I suspect that Downers who know more about the lore of the Maiar could help here, because Radagast (one of the seven Maiar) was sent to Middle Earth by the Valar who sang growing things into being, but I do not know what aspect of the creation song Saruman corresponds to.