Thread: Password
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2020, 05:53 AM   #8998
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
These seem difficult, at least for me. And judging by her absence, for Pervinca as well.
I'm sorry to hear that. In the absence of any attempts at answers, I can't really give clues, but I guess I can showcase how my thinking works?

If the cryptic clue read "Sam's bed is not backwards", you'd need to break that down as Sam | bed | not backwards. You'd then look for synonyms for the first two components - in this case Gamgee for the first, and cot for the second - and see whether 'NOT backwards' was a) an instruction for the whole thing (makes no sense), b) needed a synonym (eg 'un' reversed = NU), or c) could be taken literally - NOT, backwards = TON, with the whole answer being GAMGEE COTTON.

If you want to try breaking up some of the clues, I can tell you whether you're on the right track; in this example, if you said 'Sam's | bed is not | backwards', I'd be able to give you a nice big NOPE straight away, rather than you going down a blind alley of knotted flowerbeds or something.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote