View Single Post
Old 01-11-2004, 08:13 PM   #25
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Road to Rivendell: 2491 miles from Hobbiton, with Frodo and Sam, homeward bound
Alatįriėl Lossėhelin has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I agree, but then, what does "safe in my arms" and "you'll be here in my arms" mean ?? I automatically start asking myself "in whose arms?" It's been puzzling me ever since I heard that song !<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>When I first heard this song, I felt it was referring to several scenes from the book.. <UL TYPE=SQUARE>When Frodo and Sam are on the stairs of Cirith Ungol, Sam tells Frodo "Safe, if you lay close to me...I'd keep watch over you...if you lay near, with my arm round you, no one could come pawing you without your Sam knowing it." <P>When Sam finds Frodo in the Tower "he lay back in Sam's gentle arms, closing his eyes, like a child at rest when night-fears are driven away by some loved voice or hand."<P>When they're on the foot of Mt. Doom "His master was shivering...and lying down he tried to comfort Frodo with his arms and body. Then sleep took him, and the dim light of the last day of their quest found them side by side."</UL><P>..and therefore was Sam talking to Frodo.