View Single Post
Old 12-31-2003, 04:46 PM   #10
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Here is the song in full, with my comments underneath:<P><I> Lay down<BR>Your sweet and weary head<BR>The night is falling<BR>You have come to journey's end<BR>Sleep now<BR>And dream of the ones who came before<BR>They are calling<BR>From across the distant shore </I><BR>~~~~~~~~~~~`<P> I think we can all agree that this is talking about Frodo. <I> The night is falling </I> could refer to the fact that he must leave and that death is close. Frodo, it appears, is being called to the Valinor.<BR>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<P><I> Why do you weep?<BR>What are these tears upon your face?<BR>Soon you will see<BR>All of your fears will pass away<BR>Safe in my arms<BR>You're only sleeping. </I><BR>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<P> This one to me is very ambiguous. In a way, I can see Sam telling Frodo not to be afraid, but then again, it doesn't make sense for Sam to be saying that when everything is okay. Hmmm....Or, it could be Galadriel telling Frodo not to be afraid to come to the Valinor -- if he was afraid, that is.<BR>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ <P><I> What can you see<BR>On the horizon?<BR>Why do the white gulls call?<BR>Across the sea<BR>A pale moon rises<BR>The ships have come to carry you home. </I><BR>~~~~~~~~~~~~<P> Pretty self explanatory, don't you think?<P>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<BR><I> And all will turn<BR>To silver glass<BR>A light on the water<BR>All Souls pass </I><BR>~~~~~~~~~~~~~<P> From what Gandalf said in RotK, it's clear it's talking about death. Everybody must die, but death is not a thing to be feared. <I> A light on the water </I> could be referring to the journey to the Valinor maybe?<BR>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<P><I> Hope fades<BR>Into the world of night<BR>Through shadows falling<BR>Out of memory and time </I><BR>~~~~~~~~~~~~<P> Seems to me that it is saying that hope disappears as evil grows (<I> Into the world of night etc </I><P>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<P><I> Don't say<BR>We have come now to the end<BR>White shores are calling<BR>You and I will meet again<BR>And you'll be here in my arms<BR>Just sleeping </I><BR>~~~~~~~~~~~~<BR> <BR> On second thought, this seems it might be Frodo talking to Sam. He said that the Shire was saved but not for him <I> Don't say we have come now to the end </I>, he had to got to the Valinor <I> White shores are calling </I>. Not sure what the sleeping in the arms could mean, though. But this paragraph right here disrupts the Galadriel theory.<BR>~~~~~~~~~~~~ <P><I> Chorus<P>And all will turn <BR>To silver glass<BR>A light on the water<BR>Grey ships pass <BR>Into the West </I><BR>~~~~~~~~~~~~~<P>Maybe when you're dead and in the Valinor, you'll see things more clearly, the reasons why things happened (silver glass). <P>In a way, it could have be from Galadriel's poin of view: it would be rather cool to have Galadriel at the beginning and end of the story. It seems to me that it could various paragraphs could very likely be from a certain person's point of view, but then a different paragraph contradicts it. <P>But this is what I found in RotK:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Gandalf to a crying Merry and Pippin at the Havens. <P>It also mentions that the light of the glass of Gladriel tht Frodo bore glimmered and was lost. That could explain the light upon the water bit. <P>Also, the silver glass and green country with whtie shores refers to a dream that Frodo had in FotR (Chapter 8, Fog on the Barrowdowns).<P>Interesting, is it not?<p>[ 5:50 PM December 31, 2003: Message edited by: Imladris ]

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote