View Single Post
Old 03-06-2003, 09:46 PM   #19
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
Question

I was looking at the Tale of years, and I wondered about entry 1492:
Morgoth slays Finwë and steals the Silmarils.

I have read the Annals of Aman in Morgoth's Ring
Quote:
§106 It may well be that Melkor, if none other, knew of her being and her abode, and that she was in the beginning one of those that he had corrupted to his service. And coming at length to Arvalin, he sought her out, and demanded her aid in his revenge. But she was loath to dare the perils of Valinor and the great wrath of the gods, and would not stir from her hiding until Melkor had vowed to render her a reward that should heal the gnawing of her hunger and hatred.
But in entry 1495 we have:
Quote:
§107 At last having well laid their plans Melkor and Ungoliantë set forth.
If Melkor and Ungoliant had begun their active plan of their doings, how is it possible that in 1492 they slew Finwë, when it is stated in the Later Quentas, that it was both Melkor and Ungoliant that Finwë withstood in Formenos? Am I missing another text here?
From Morgoth's Ring: Later Quentas
Quote:
§9 'We heard the sound of great blows struck. Out of the cloud we saw a sudden flame of fire. And then there was one piercing cry. But when we urged on our horses they reared and cast us to the ground, and they fled away wild. We lay upon our faces without strength; for suddenly the cloud came on, and for a while we were blind. But it passed us by and moved away north at great speed. Melkor was there, we do not doubt. But not he alone! Some other power was with him, some huge evil: even as it passed it robbed us of all wit and will.
What am i missing here?