Thread: Ambarkanta
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2019, 07:59 PM   #13
gandalf85
Wight

gandalf85 has just left Hobbiton.
The usage of World: OK, I agree with you guys, we should just leave "World" and "world" as unspecific. It would indeed be needlessly editorial.

Melkor returning over the Walls of Night: I like the "soup bowl" metaphor, but it seems strange that the Valar would set Earendil to watch the Door of Night if Melkor can simply return at any point over the "rim" whenever he wants. I missed your comment about it being something not physical, Fin. I think that's the best explanation. Melkor biding his time would also make sense.

Gates of Morning: You're right, this is ambiguous enough so it should be fine to leave it as is in the Akallabeth.

Amb-06 and Amb-06.1 I agree to these changes, I think this makes it clearer.

Amb-06.2: Oh, I get it now. Yes, I agree to Gondowe's proposed change. "In the time" is nice and vague.

Amb-08.5b: I see why you made your original change now. This is indeed more clear.

Diagrams and Maps: I agree we would have to edit them slightly if we decide to include them. I mentioned Fonstad's maps mostly as a compliment to her and using her as a contrast to the "lungs map" (http://aidanmoher.com/blog/wp-conten...nds_color.jpeg) which boggles my mind every time I see it. Numenor isn't even a star!

Amb-02: Upon reflection, since we are going to use "World" in an unspecific way, I think it's better the way Fin has it. Adding in "Creation" like that feels like too much of an editorial intrusion on our part.
gandalf85 is offline   Reply With Quote